You will find the similar triangle pairs among the given triangles.
After completing this tutorial, you will be able to complete the following:
In this Activity Object, students will find similar triangle pairs using similarity properties. It should be noted that similar triangles can be identified using one, two, or three of the properties described below.
The following key vocabulary terms will be used throughout this Activity Object:
· AAA similarity property - if two angles of one triangle are congruent to two angles of another triangle, then the triangles are similar
· SAS similarity property - if an angle of one triangle is congruent to the corresponding angle of another triangle and the sides that include this angle are proportional, then the two triangles are similar
· SSS similarity property - If the corresponding sides of two triangles are proportional, then the triangles are similar.
· congruent - Exactly equal in size and shape. A pair of angles and/or side measures can be considered congruent.
· corresponding parts - The parts of congruent or similar triangles that match: e.g. corresponding sides, corresponding angles.
· proportional - two quantities are proportional if one of the quantities is a constant multiple of the other or if they have a constant ratio
· similar triangles - Two triangles are similar if and only if all corresponding angles are congruent and measures of all corresponding sides are proportional.
· similar - two shapes are similar if the only difference between them is size
· triangle - a polygon with three sides and three angles
|Approximate Time||20 Minutes|
|Pre-requisite Concepts||Learners should be familiar with the AAA Similarity Property, attributes of triangles, Pythagorean Theorem, radicals, SAS Similarity Property, similar triangles, and the SSS Similarity Property.|
|Type of Tutorial||Skills Application|
|Key Vocabulary||Similarity of triangles, similar triangles, similarity|